Saturday, January 7, 2017

New Year, New Goals

It's January - Happy New Year and all that resolution stuff - though I think I'll do better with setting some goals rather than making resolutions I know I won't keep.

I am working hard now at revamping my website, adding new product, and creating new designs for Ragamuffin Prims.  My Etsy shop is online and I'm adding new listing there as well.

There are many new critters and strange folk running around in my head, so as soon as I can get them captured and transformed into cloth and stuffing..they will magically appear!

Hope you all are having a great New Year!  Stay tuned!

Wednesday, September 7, 2016

New Website



It's been a busy few months!  I'm going to make an honest effort to get back to blogging regularly. I'm not sure anyone actually reads blogs anymore, but having spent most of my life making a living as a writer, I think it's good to get back to writing regularly - even if it's just for me.

So, the new website has been launched!  I'm still adding  product - that is an ongoing process, of course.  Lots of ideas rolling around this head of mine.

Sadly, I killed my Mac computer with just a half cup of coffee.  Dumb, dumb, dumb - and you can bet my coffee is nowhere near the replacement PC.  Since another Mac was not to be found in my current budget, I am now re-learning the MS and Windows system.  I am grateful to have another computer, but my heart mourns for my Apple!




Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Plaid Rabbits?

Not too sure about these. I always go for prim stained muslin, but these kept popping into my head and they definitely wanted to be plaid.  They are cuter in person, I will say that.  I dunno....

Sunday, July 3, 2016

First Post and Remember Cave Creek Primitives?

Ragamuffin Primitives evolved from my original Cave Creek Primitives shop and studio in Kentucky.  I called this thing that I do Cave Creek Primitives because that's where I lived at the time - there was a real Cave Creek very close to my home and it seemed fitting, though in the early start-up I wavered between Cave Creek Primitives and Ragamuffin, finally ending up with Cave Creek.
 
Fast forward to 2011-12, when I first introduced the original Cave Creek pig shelf sitters and ornaments.  To my surprise, people went hog wild (sorry) for them, and I was busy for the next few years with pigs and other barnyard critters.  I was honored to have my work appear in four different issues of PRIMS Magazine too!



I moved to Florida in 2013 and Cave Creek continued to grow.  Outside circumstances and another business I also had going began to take their toll on pig-making, and so late in 2015, I found another owner for Cave Creek Primitives - Tamara Pearce of Pearce's Craft Shop - closed my Etsy shop and retired from making primitives.

Or so I thought.  It seems that once you get all that cinnamon and coffee in your blood, it's going to resurface eventually.  And so here I am - again.

Ragamuffin Primitives will be different from Cave Creek of course...and yet some will be similar. After all, those Cave Creek designs are my originals.  But if you are looking for the heavily grunged and tagged piggies and other critters, please visit Pearce's Craft Shop. Tamara is doing a great job carrying on the CCP look.

So, hope this brings you up to speed a little.  I'll be posting here on this blog, and there will be an Artyah shop and a website.   Right now I'm working on designs.  Life is good.


Thursday, February 3, 2011

Dyeing Muslin


I originally posted this to my old Cave Creek blog, but I'm posting it here again because I'm dyeing muslin today and I can't think of anything else to write about at the moment.

To dye muslin, I use a stainless steel pot into which goes some hot water, lots of instant coffee grounds, a splash of vanilla, a dash of cinnamon (OK, maybe more than a dash) and possibly some sage or nutmeg.  I then place a couple of yards of unbleached muslin (OK, maybe a yard and a half but I seldom measure it) and squish it all down with a wooden spoon.  I do cook it on low to just below boiling and then set it aside.  I don't know if that actually helps to set the color but it sure seems like it and it smells good too.

I set the pot aside and let the whole thing cool down, stirring and poking to be sure all the fabric gets a turn at soaking for a couple of hours. Then comes fun part - removing the muslin and wringing it out in the sink.  I do not rinse it - it's going to get lighter anyway when it dries.  On warm sunny days I hang it outside to dry in the sun, but in the dead of winter I toss it in the dryer.  It will leave a bit of a coffee stain in the dryer but that wipes out easily.  The muslin wrinkles and creases during this process, which adds to the primitive look.

I used to construct my dolls first and then stain, but I find dyeing the muslin first is easier and eliminates any missed seams or spots.  I still add a finishing touch up when necessary and can adjust the color by applying more stain to the completed doll if it needs a touch up.  Now I can't wait to see what becomes of this batch of muslin....